Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The BIG Award Night

Hi everyone! I am on my way back to Muscatine after attending the big award dinner last night. It was SO cool.

In case you don't remember, the Arab Media radio program that my friends Keith and Kristin worked on (and I helped with) won a big award from the National Press Club.
The National Press Club is in Washington, DC.


There were LOTS of people who came to the event. It was so packed with people that at one point it was hard for Keith and Kristin to walk around. It is a good thing that I was in Kristin's bag!

There were many different awards handed out last night and Kristin told me I would have to be patient. Man, it is SO hard to be patient. But not long after dessert (yummy cheesecake), the president of the National Press Club announced the "category" of the award that the radio program won.


I don't even know some of the words on the screen, so this MUST be a really big award!

Soon, pictures of Kristin and Keith and my friends Mr. B and Simon, came up on this HUGE screen in the center of the room.


The president said lots of nice things about the radio program and then played some of the audio from the program. I recognized it right away! That's because I was with Kristin and her friend Rima when they were "mixing" the audio in Los Angeles last year.


After the audio finished, Keith and Kristin walked up to the stage and Keith thanked a whole bunch of people including Mr. B and Simon (they couldn't be there last night). I was too afraid to go up on stage, so I stayed with Kristin's bag at the dinner table.

But after the ceremony ended, Kristin took my picture with Keith and the award at the front of the stage. How cool is this photo?!


After Kristin took this photo, Keith told me he wanted to show me something. Down a long hallway in the press club, there is a wall lined with award plaques.


Here you can see Keith and Kristin's names listed on one of the plaques! Did you know they've won this award TWO years in a row? How awesome is that?!


Here I am next to the places where Keith and Kristin's names are listed.


If you look closely at the photo above, you will see the name Peter Jennings right under my feet. Kristin and Keith told me he is a VERY famous news broadcaster that died a few years ago. They also pointed out that people named Tom Brokaw, Ted Koppel, and Pierre Salinger have also won the same award Keith and Kristin did. I have NO idea who these people are, but Keith and Kristin tell me they are REALLY famous journalists. I had no idea! Kristin says she is sure my Aunt Lynn has seen them on TV. I will have to remember to ask her when I get home.

After seeing all of the news people last night, I have decided to try being a broadcaster for the day. Here is goes...."That's all from the National Press Club. I'm Flat Michael in Washington, DC."

How did I do?