Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Gospel Soul in Seoul

Hi everyone! I've been sleeping or SO busy going to meetings with Kristin and her journalist friends that I haven't had time to write until now.

As I mentioned earlier, we are staying in South Korea's capital, Seoul. Seoul sounds like "soul." So I guess it makes sense that one of the first places we visited Sunday was a church.

But this church, the Yoido Full Gospel Church, sure doesn't look like my church at home. It is the biggest church I have ever seen!

Kristin says a growing number of people in South Korea follow the Christian faith and the Yoido Free Gospel Church claims to be one of the largest churches in the world. Church leaders told us there are more than 750,000 members. There are so many people that want to attend Full Gospel that the church has to hold many different services on Sunday. Church leaders say that as many as 30,000 people attend the 11am Sunday service. That's more people than the entire population of Muscatine. Can you believe it?!

The main church building only holds about 12,000 people, but there are many buildings near the church and throughout Seoul where people can watch services on video.

Kristin's group visited an afternoon youth ceremony. We didn't stay for the entire service, but I can tell you that they really like singing. I couldn't understand the words of the song. Kristin says that's because they were singing in the Korean language. Who knew?


There were hundreds, maybe even thousands of people at the service. There were so many people that I decided to stay in Kristin's bag so I wouldn't get lost.

My visit to the church must have made me really tired because I fell asleep on my way back to the hotel.

That's all for now....